Old 02-07-12, 12:58 PM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
In the US there's no requirement that there be proof that the speeder knew how fast they were going. Conviction for speeding only requires convincing evidence that they were traveling faster than the speed limit. I'd be very surprised if either the UK or Canada required proof of the speeder's knowledge of his own speed.
In addition to that, if you tried to talk your way out of a ticket by claiming that your speedometer was broken, all you'd gain would be another ticket for defective equipment. As I see it, if they are going to enforce a 20 kph speed limit, the fact that you don't have a speedometer, and there's no requirement that your bike have one, isn't going to help you.

And the fact of the matter is, during the day in nice weather, 20 kph is a reasonable speed restriction for bikes on a MUT. The ones near me have walkers, rollerbladers, dog walkers, joggers, wheelchairs, families walking kids, kids riding on training wheels who can't track straight, and probably a dozen more reasons to keep it around 15 mph during the day, which is the posted limit. They're true "multiple user" trails and many casual cyclists only feel comfortable riding on them. We don't do ourselves any favors by zooming past them at 25+ while screaming "ON YOUR LEFT" at the top of our lungs.