Old 02-07-12, 02:11 PM
Omiak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Flying with a Mezzo Part 2 (DIY Airline Legal Hardcase)

I posted a thread several months ago about flying with a Mezzo folding bike. Anyway, due to getting randomly assaulted in the street I never ended up taking that trip (I'm fine now). I am however now moving abroad and taking the bike with me. My dad and I built a box for the bike. I'm amazed that people are able to fly with 20" wheeled bikes and full size bikes with S&S couplers in checked luggage because even with 16" wheels this was a tight fit. As shown in the pictures the stempost is removed as well as the seat and both of the quick releases. It's not finished yet. I still need to create a system to keep the lid strapped on and attach a handle to one end. I'm also going to weld some little wheels to a piece of angle so that it can be rolled in the airport, and then the wheels can be put inside before it's checked. Might add some gussets for strength as well.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this here for reference in case anyone was looking for information about flying with a Mezzo. I'll add more pictures once it's completely finished. Higher resolution images can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreyon...7629219472607/