View Single Post
Old 02-08-12, 09:37 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Thanks

The wheels are both spaced for 135mm and are going into a chrome moly Trek 700 frame spaced at 132.5 so they pop right in with a very minimal flex of the rear triangles. My biggest concern was the spacing between the cogs going from freewheel to cassette as I want to keep my current 7-speed indexed shifter.
As noted, 7-speed freewheels and 7-speed cassettes are spaced the same so your shifters and rear derailleur will work fine. You will have to adjust the rear derailleur's limit screws to match the new cassette's position on the 8/9/10-speed freehub body.

Also, you have two choices as to where the 4.5 mm spacer goes. You can install it on the freehub body beore the cassette is added but many cassettes have rivets or thin bolts holding the larger cogs together and these may interfer with the spacer so you may have to file notches in the spacer to clear their heads or remove them from the cassette. You can also install the spacer outside of the smallest cog and tighten the lockring on it. I know this works with a 13T small cog and may also with a 12T.