Old 02-10-12, 02:26 PM
vpr80

Bikes: LOOK 555 Ultegra SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
1) do you want a single speed or a fixed gear? i.e. do you want to be able to coast? you haven't indicated that you want a fixed gear, but everyone keeps treating you like that's what you are after. (for instance, the cornering with low bb is irrelevant on a single speed)
I don't know. I've never ridden a true fixed gear, but figured that it doesn't matter with flip-flop hubs.

Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
2) if what you want IS a single speed. do you have an objection to a chain tensioner? how much do you care about the aesthetics of not having one? if you don't care, then just get whatever ****ing road frame you want (shoulda kept the 555) and strip it down. you can use any super-lightweight rear road wheel with some spacers, a chain tensioner, and the right ratio and you are good to go. i have done this a couple times on a much tighter budget than you have (like $400-500) and have built sub 17lb bikes. otherwise, as it has been mentioned repeatedly, there aren't many lightweight frames with road geometry and track ends, and ENO hubs are awesome but heavy.
Yeah tell me about....I really should have kept the LOOK, ohhh well. I still want the bike to look cool so I do care about aesthetics. I like my toys pretty So would much rather prefer no tensioner and like the ENO hub idea better. Even better is a track-frame without any of the extra braze-ons, but those don't seem to exist with easy geo.