Old 02-11-12, 09:30 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I do no regular maintenance. During the course of each ride, however, I make a mental list of whatever needs to be done before I ride my bike again. As far as tools go, you'll be surprised at how far just a 5mm allen wrench will take you. Aside from that I'm an advocate of just buying tools as you need them which won't be very often. When it comes time to replace your chain, tool up for that. The first time you decide to overhaul your hubs, but the right size cone wrenches.
Agree with most of this, except that I clean the bike and clean and oil the drivetrain every once in a while (depending on how much I've been riding, conditions etc).

Depending on just what bike you have you'll probably find a 4mm and 5mm allen key will do most of what you need.

Agree 100% with buying tools as you need them. Otherwise you end up with lots of money spent on tools that never get used. I'll make an exception if I know I'll need a tool in the not too distant future and it's available at a great price.