Old 02-12-12, 10:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by neurocop
I've looked at the California Vehicle Code (CVC) and the only thing I found regarding bicycle headlights is that they must be "white" and visible from at least 300 feet. I didn't find any prohibition against blinking white headlights. There is a prohibition against blinking blue lights (head or tail), as these are authorized only for police or emergency personnel.
There is federal case law from a southern state (Alabama or Georgia maybe) that a man used a flashing blue light for safety when his car broke down. Cops arrested him and the state convicted him for using the blue light. He appealed to Federal Court and won. The Federal Court said the man had a constitutional right to use the light for his safety and as long as he did not attempt to impersonate police (pull someone over, etc.) or endanger others, the state could not prohibit the blue lights use for safety.

If anyone has access to a law library that they can find the case law, please post it.

I assume that a similar case can be made for cyclist safety in using a blinking white head light.