Old 02-13-12, 06:40 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A large magnitude of satisfaction from such a small feat!!

Commuting to work generally is no big deal to those of us who annually ride something over 3000 miles, unless one has been inactive for well over ten weeks.

For personal reasons I have been off the bikes since the 25th of November. I finally started riding again on February 10th. Now that happens also to be the date that Winter started in Rochester this year.

If you ever allow yourself to get 50 pounds overweight and you allow your legs, lungs, and heart to get into a state of inferior conditioning, starting commuting in winter conditions can be a bit of an eye opener.

Friday the 10th was a calm and dry day but I thought I was going to die any way. After many rests and much huffing and puffing after leaving home I finally arrived at work. Four and a half miles never seemed to be that far before.

Saturday I felt a little stronger. I only stopped to rest once and though the ride home was icy and a little snowy it seemed to go quite well.

Sunday was an eye opener. We got over a foot of 'Lake Effect' Snow over night and the ride in and back home was a tad bit exciting. I felt a little stronger though and did not need to stop and rest.

Monday found Rochester in a lovely and sunny thaw. Though I had bare pavement all the way to work I also had a buffeting head wind all the way in to work. I had to stop to rest twice. That was kind of disheartening.

So what was the small feat? I actually commuted to work an entire week without driving our car, in winter weather no less. I feel as proud of myself as if I had circumnavigated the globe. I'll bask in the glow of my little triumph for a few days but I know it wont last. Before I know it the commute will just be a daily part of my life again and I'll be out there attacking larger windmills. Until that time arrives though, it feels good to be me!!