View Single Post
Old 02-14-12, 04:37 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Badger,

Thanks for your further input. I also resolved some time ago to keep moving. I will be going to an LBS for a fitting, as it seems my bike may be one size too large, which makes mounting and dismounting even harder with limited hip range of motion. I was between sizes and chose the large size. They also suggested going with a narrower and firmer saddle. For some reason, I've been hypersensitive to saddles my whole life, even when I was healthy and biking 2000 miles a year. I always needed a wider saddle and more padding than most folks. Prior to my arthritis I rode a Specialzed Body Geometry, one of the original models. That worked well until arthritis led to weight gain, and then it seemed too narrow. According to my sit-bone width I'm supposed to be on a 143 mm wide saddle, but I'm not comfortable on that width at all, never have been. I like around 197 mm.

I'm thinking the problem with my current saddle may be that it's too flat. Maybe bumps in the right place would raise me up off the spurs a bit.

Spurs may be different from other aspects of arthritis because overuse in the wrong way does cause inflammation.