Old 02-15-12, 04:34 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marc m View Post
Yea, I was kinda upset after I bought I entire SR 11 group just to find out that the cranks were incompatible. I found a set of new 2011 Sworks cranks 172.5 53/39 for $300 shipped. They get here tomorrow. So now I have this super cool SR 11 Ti spindle crank.. Maybe I'll hang it on my wall like a $1000 piece of art.
Believe what you went thru is pretty common. Many don't know that Campy cranks are incompatible with Sworks frames which are PF30 with odd spacing. Specialized obviously does this to sell more Sworks cranks. You will need the spacers for the Sworks cranks to work with your Sworks PF30 spacing which is different than their other OSBB BB30 Pro level Tarmac or Roubaix Pro. Download the Specialized service manual PDF...google it to see the spacers involved. Many order Campy adapter cups for PF30 thinking they will work. They do not as the Sworks has unique spacing for PF30...not 68mm. Btw, Campy cranks work poorly with integrated BB's anyway so you are better off with the Specialized cranks on a Sworks bike. Campy cranks are quite beautiful however as you know...art...I run them on my new Roubaix Pro with threaded BB. I know of only one Sworks owner that has gotten Campy cranks to fit his bike. He machined custom adapters and cost him about $200 and a fair amont of know how to get the tolerances right.
Post a pic of your set up and come back and report how it shifts.