View Single Post
Old 02-20-12, 01:39 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by diabloridr
As someone who has helped organize rides (Hekaton, Cinderella, Wildflower, Lighthouse, etc) and who has ridden many organized rides with my beloved stoker (on the tandem and on our singles) I have a hard time figuring out why an organization might offer such a discount. Their costs are no different than for two riders on singles.

Willing to listen to good arguments otherwise.
I'll see if I can come up with any.

The price for an organized ride is not a simple thing. Different factors go into account, involving both supply and demand.

Organizer Costs:
  • Registration costs are less if two people register as one.
  • Automobile parking and traffic is halved, as two riders share one car.
  • Promotion cost/rider is halved, as for each tandem team reached, two riders participate.
  • Food costs are reduced, as each tandem team will be 50% female, whereas ridership is otherwise upwards of 80% male. Therefore, eat-like-bird females ride in place of swarm-of-locust males. And since there must be some truth to that oft-heard knee-slapper "She's not pedaling!" the stokers caloric requirements are reduced proportionate to the reputed feebleness of her expended wattage.

Bicycle-limited rides
Many rides are limited to the number of riders that may participate (eg Wildflower). What often is cited for such limitations is the capacity of the roads to handle the vehicular traffic of so many bicycles. Each tandem that participates eliminates one bicycle. Tandems could thus be used to expand ridership within a bicycle limitation.

Demand-limited rides
Those rides not limited by a quota are limited by rider demand. The organizer sets the price not only to cover expenses, many of which are fixed, but so too to encourage greater ridership and revenue. The price has been optimized, therefore, to best entice the >95% of riders who will be singles.

The tandem team must make a similar decision to the single rider, but upon clicking on the Register Here link, the team sees a registration fee is 2x the solo rider's. But neither the means nor cycling ardor of a tandem team is twice that of a solo rider.

The rider and revenue maximizing price for tandem team's is somewhere between the 1-2x the solo rider's.

So, there are factors, from a cost, logistical and revenue maximization standpoint by which a rational ride organizer would provide tandem registration fees less than twice that of single fees.