Thread: Hip pain
View Single Post
Old 02-20-12, 07:24 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Badger, to be honest the real problem is lack of appropriate medical care for people who "aren't old enough" for hip replacement. According to my research, surgery is the only real solution for these spurs, but the spurs are only removed in conjunction with a hip replacement. I'm told they don't do surgery just to remove the spurs. But they're not going to replace the hip until you're "old enough" by their standards. That could mean 10-15 years of sitting around getting decrepit, meanwhile losing the last decade of your strength and vigor.

Then there's the cost of the surgery. I don't think doctors have much sympathy for people who want to be active in sports, because to avoid pain I would only need to lie flat on the couch all day. In that sense the surgery isn't urgent, so they feel ok telling you to wait 10-15 years. I don't see it that way. To me being active IS life or death, because after age 55 you lose your overall heatlh very rapidly with loss of activities. After age 60 being inactive is practically the kiss of death.

Anyway, I put the seat on my bike and rode a few miles. It improved the problem by about 50%, and there are a couple of things I can do to improve it further, like set the nose down a tad, try it with padded shorts, etc. If all that doesn't work I'll carve a relief hole out of the side. Why not?

I should be happy I was able to ride 500 miles last year. There'll come a day when I'll remember that mileage fondly.