Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
One advantage to learning to start with the stoker clipped in is on steep hills the stoker adds power immediately to allow the captain time to get in the saddle and clip in. We started with the one legged method and them switched to stoker clipped in for this reason. On steep inclined starts it is hard to hop along fast enough to get clipped in in time. When you are first starting out in may be better to use mountain bike pedals and cleats as there is more traction for standing. We now use speed play pedals and the cleats don't cause issues now that we are experienced. You might find clip less pedals are actually easier then toe clips and straps and again I would recommend mountain pedals (spd or eggbeaters).
Agree. We use clipless one-sided road pedals for Stoker and clipless MTB pedals for captain, because it can be very important for captain to clip in quickly. We happen to prefer SPDs and Sidi Dominators. Do shift down before stopping. I hear about it if it's hard for Stoker has to bring the pedals around that first stroke. If it's unusual, I comment on the starting gear: "Just push down and coast" or "Big gear, sorry" or "Low gear and uphill, I'll try to be quick." I clip in while the pedals are moving unless it's a downhill start.

Captain's shorts need to be in good condition. Very embarrassing to get hung up on the saddle when levering up into it while Stoker is still trying to move the pedals.