Old 02-24-12, 06:52 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
the Utah Code is a rather surprising mess. There really does not seem to be much about bicycles. .
very true, and yes, it is title 41 here. I throw out the red herring on purpose - I figure if they actually do look it up (fat chance), it will hopefully make them be aware of the code's existence and other sections. I am by no means an expert on all of them, but I've read most of them. Title 41 is pretty basic, and like you noticed, gives bicycles an extremely small piece.
I think other states I've lived in have addressed bicycle-specific rules better.

Any of these state codes will be car-centric, but I've seen some that have very good bicycle-specific sections.

To further confuse things, each state can have different rules - for example, stop lights and stop signs. Some states require bicyclists to observe/obey standard vehicle provisions, while others allow discretion to "go on red". Other variations exist on "taking the lane", etc.

Since most motorists are already pretty ignorant of bicycle rights and responsibilities, it is made worse by the variation state to state (most folks I know have moved to a different state at least once).

I tend to be a methodical route planner - I will go out of my way to ensure a more bike/car compatible route. To me, it is not worth it to insert myself into situations (by the routes I choose) where the chances of conflict are higher.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-24-12 at 06:58 PM.