View Single Post
Old 02-25-12, 09:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I too wonder about the total weight. sleisure or tiredofit fellow writes on his webpage of crossing Canada on a LHT with a really heavy load, I forget but I think it was between 75-100lbs. really heavy. You could check out his tiredofit website and read up on that part of his cycling history (he is in Africa right now on a diff bike). Personally I find your list rather daunting, and despite not haven undertaken a trip as long and isolated as this, it does seem to be a heck of a lot of stuff (or rather weight I should say)

you could also check out other really long distance trips on CGOAB to compare lists and such, and/or even contact directly some journal writers with specific questions.

I recall that the family that went from Alaska to the bottom of S America had some issues with the fathers bikes sti brifters at one point, most likely from accumulated dust and grit inside. If you do stay with sti shifters, some sort of spray lubricant like wd-40 or jigg-a-loo sprayed into the innards would help with less gumming up of the innards if you are in really tough, dusty dusty conditions. (for a trip like this, as much as I love sti shifters, I'd be hesitant with them in the sort of areas you will be in--its very easy for someone like me to give out armchair advice, so Id mine crazyguy for real experience with a long trip like this.)

all the best with planning.