View Single Post
Old 02-26-12, 11:20 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Neil: Would love to talk with you more about some options. I think I would like to try my first one solo so I do not slow down the group or anything so perhaps the GAP or???? I dont know. I am very clueless when it comes to this.
Touring isn't like the sort of riding you do, Iron Chef. The fact you are concerned about "slowing down the group" shows you have to change your thinking a bit. Touring isn't about the destination, but the journey. If you think it's about going as fast as you can from point A to Point B, or C, or Z, you won't like it.

I suggest you do an overnight first, to see if you like touring by bike, and so you get a handle on packing and become used to carrying extra weight. Solo or with others is your call. My first tour was an overnight from Neilfein's home to Red Bank, NJ, and back. 90 miles round trip. It was an adventure if only because we hadn't done something like it before.

Make your trip an adventure too. Pick a place a day's ride away, ride there, stay, ride home. Make your night stop a motel, hotel, B & B, or a friend's house. Keep the distance shorter so you can spend time at your destination and in case you have a problem.