View Single Post
Old 02-26-12, 11:30 PM
rhino919

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dean V
I would question the use of a triple crankset.
I've read with fascination as people have debated the double vs triple for tandems and have ended up in the "triple camp" (if there is such a thing). When I started planning this build, I was going to use a double (53/38) and a wide range rear cassette (11/36), but we really don't like the wide jumps that come with that set-up. We live in an area with lots of hills and there are times when I know we will want the granny ring to bail out to. On our Cannondale (52/42/30 - 11/28 9spd) we find that we ride between the 52/42 most of the time, with an occassional need for the 30. When we do drop into the 30, we often are using the middle of the cassette rather than the really big cogs. We do live on a hill with some 12% grade, so at the end of a long ride, it is really nice to have the lower gears to spin up the hill on the way home. On the groups we have ridden with, we are generally not last up the hill, and sometimes can almost keep up with the hillclimbers - probably because we had the opportunity to put the hurt to them on some rollers before hand

Last edited by rhino919; 02-26-12 at 11:38 PM.