View Single Post
Old 02-27-12, 08:59 AM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I commute through this area regularly. By car and bicycle. There are so many alternates to cycling on Delancey with all its heavy truck traffic, clueless pedestrians, double parked vehicles, broken road surface, opening car doors and crazy cyclists why would any sane individual want to ride on Delancey. Yet they do and way too many ignore all traffic laws. Though I have never counted, I would estimate at least 20 times more cyclists are breaking traffic laws than motor vehicles in the city. Thing is most motor vehicles do obey traffic laws. Most cyclists in Manhattan do not - and they scare me more than anything else on the road because they are totally unpredictable. I stop for red lights, even on the west side bike path. What is it about the mindset of so many cyclists that tells them the laws don't pertain. It may be that cyclists are already largely non-conformists and actually enjoy flaunting the law.

NYC cops may have the toughest job in the world. They get all the press when things go bad. No credit when the city becomes so much safer.