Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel
it was 3.5 miles to Central Park, maybe 5 laps around(?), 3.5 miles back. 40.06 miles.

2,900 feet of climb said the gps.

i was thinking this is an adequate training route for the tour.

Edit: to say, I know Queensboro bridge very very well from my past commute (crossing to the queens side is the easy way even), and will continue to train/die on the hills in Central Park, so I thought the Verrazano (nearly 3,000 feet of climb if I'm not mistaken) was the only real "question mark" for me. Considering the Verrazano is at the end of the ride, I'm sure I'll be spinning slowly up it....
Maybe your GPS is off. I just can't imagine you could get 2,900 ft elevation gain in only 5 laps around the park since the highest point in Central Park is only about 130 feet above sea level. Most of the bridges around New York, like the Brooklyn and the GWB are no more than 200 feet above sea level. According to Wikipedia the Verrazzano has a clearance of 220 feet, so add another 20 feet for the lower level and that's still under 250 ft.

Someone on the New York Cycle Club page mentions 220 feet gain, per lap in Central Park, as measured on his Polar Cyclocomputer.
http://nycc.org/node/33768

Keep in mind this is a ride for families so it's not going to be all that challenging.

EDIT: The ride over the Queensboro is tougher than you're accustomed to because it uses the upper roadway, accessed from a side street, which gives you a steep climb.... or hike.

Last edited by Stacy; 03-01-12 at 12:51 AM.