Old 03-04-12, 02:32 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just started gluing my first tubular tires...they make it look so easy!

I learned a few things about gluing tubular tires today:

1. It's not nearly as easy as they make it look in all those tutorial videos on YouTube.

2. The glue becomes tacky VERY quickly and starts pulling the bristles out of the brush, which is very frustrating when you have to use your fingers to get them out.

3. The yellow sidewall and base tape on Vittoria Corsa Evo SC tires makes it almost impossible to see where the glue has already been applied.

4. Acetone based nail polish remover makes an already clumpy and dry brush even worse.

5. A truing stand would be very helpful when applying glue to the bed of the rim.

How the hell do you guys put up with all this? At this point I'm just worried that I'll end up with two expensive tires that won't seat correctly. What a royal PITA...I just hope tomorrow's gluing session goes better than today's. Just need to run out and buy another brush now.

Questions:

So how perfect does the glue job really need to be to not experience vertical wheel wobble?

What kind of brush do you guys use and how do you clean it for the next day? I went with a basic 1" black bristled art brush from Ace hardware. It was actually smaller than 1" and turned out to be the perfect size, but I didn't like how the bristles kept coming out.