Old 03-04-12, 04:30 PM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Thanks.

The race and what priority I give it dictates how I prepare. Sometimes I just treat it like another bit of training, though usually it'll look sort of like this if I was doing that circuit race:
+1 to all of that.

The night before I pack my bike bag with all my stuff, then check it again. I like to bring more clothes than I think I will need so if the weather is different than I expected I'll have something. I also make sure I know where I am going. I often check the area out on the map and try to find a good place off the course to warm up. If you can warm up on a trainer or rollers that works better. I don't warm up very well on the trainer so I need a place to ride.

In addition to my bike and pump and bike bag I bring a tool box that also has tubes and a spare tire in case I need it. Unless its a casual race I bring a second set of wheels. I've flatted a few minutes before the start and had to switch wheels.

Don't forget food for before the race and after. I try to bring more than I think I'll need in case the race start is delayed. I bring a lot of water too.

I like to arrive at least an hour before my race. That gives me time to find reg, get registered, use the porta-potties, pin my number, and still have a half hour or so to warm up. For a shorter race you need a longer warmup as it's more likely to go hard from the start. If you are getting a same day license, arrive 10 minutes earlier to fill it out.

When you're done racing it's nice to have some clothes to change into, and a big towel to do it under. If you're small you can change in the car. For long hot races I bring a small towel that I can wet down and use to wipe off the salt and dirt.