View Single Post
Old 07-22-05, 07:00 PM
DRLski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low Endurance while swimming

I'm training for a sprint triathlon at the end of August, and I'm not at the point where my biking is excellent, my running is getting much better, but my swimming still needs desperate help. I've come from not being able to really swim at all and afriad of drowning to now having a pretty good freestyle technique however it's obviously not good enough. I was having trouble breathing particularly because water was keep going up my nose and made me keep choking on the water, I have sinus issues so I'm not able to push out enough air through my nose so I breathe through my mouth. I since have gotten a nose clip which has helped a TON and have allowed me to work on my technique more. I can now swim a few laps but I have one of two things happening...either my nose clip comes loose and I suck up water again or it feels like my HR is too high and I can't seem to get enough air. Assuming that my HR was my main issue I decided to take my HR monitor in the pool today and I was amazed at how low my HR actually was when swimming, it was only around 135 or 140 if not lower however it feels like my HR is at 170-180. I have tried to slow down my swimming and breathing on different amount of strokes and I still haven't had a huge amount of success with it.

I'm a cyclist whom races already so I knew that the running and cycling wouldn't be an issue however I knew that the swimming would be quite a challenge. I have no idea what else to do, I have some people helping me with my technique and gave me some things to practice on to help with my endurance but with only a month to go I'm not seeing the results I want to. With a 1/3 mile swim ahead of me which I believe is about 23 laps in the pool I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to do it, maybe if I freestyle a little, then float on my back, and doggy paddle, maybe even a little underwater swimming....but my goal is to do it with as much ease as I can and without resorting to these not so efficient swimming methods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave