Old 03-05-12, 12:30 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rec3036
I keep saying i am going to start riding my bike to work... but I am too much of a wimp to do it...
What is really stopping you from riding in, the full distance? Here is how I did it at my last job and will do again at this job.

First I map it all out and get what I think is a fair route, trying to use as much bike trail as is reasonable. For me it is 20.3 miles one way.

Second I find some incremental places I can park and ride in. For instance there is a good place 10 miles away that I can park in the morning and ride into work. Then after work I ride back. If that kills me I will find a place closer. If that distance works will I'd do it a few more times to make sure I'm not overdoing it then I'd find a place a bit further away to start out.

It's possible you never go all the way back and forth to work. You may stay at the abbreviated distance. What I am doing is preparing for a full one way commute. Once I do that I'll either ride into work or from work to home, not both, due to time schedules. However once I am doing a full commute I'll be in shape enough that if I have a free evening (rare) I can do a two way commute just to push myself.

So.... if the full distance is a hindrance look for a place to park and do a partial.