Old 03-05-12, 08:41 PM
rec3036

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
What is really stopping you from riding in, the full distance? Here is how I did it at my last job and will do again at this job.

No not the distance, 3.76 miles... I am a procrastinator, wait to the last possible second.

First I map it all out and get what I think is a fair route, trying to use as much bike trail as is reasonable. For me it is 20.3 miles one way.

Second I find some incremental places I can park and ride in. For instance there is a good place 10 miles away that I can park in the morning and ride into work. Then after work I ride back. If that kills me I will find a place closer. If that distance works will I'd do it a few more times to make sure I'm not overdoing it then I'd find a place a bit further away to start out.

It's possible you never go all the way back and forth to work. You may stay at the abbreviated distance. What I am doing is preparing for a full one way commute. Once I do that I'll either ride into work or from work to home, not both, due to time schedules. However once I am doing a full commute I'll be in shape enough that if I have a free evening (rare) I can do a two way commute just to push myself.

So.... if the full distance is a hindrance look for a place to park and do a partial.

I think I need to go to bed earlier, getting up an extra 25 minutes early just is not really what I am looking forward to... I have to be to work by 20 minutes to 7, Sunday through Thursday.
It takes me less than 10 minutes to drive it but probably triple that to ride. I am just making excuses for being a wimp, I rode 18 miles on Friday...

But I did manage to get 4.8 miles in after work before getting the kids from school... so that makes 3 for the month so far... looking to do the same thing tomorrow!

Last edited by rec3036; 03-05-12 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added a thought