View Single Post
Old 03-07-12, 09:09 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ks1g
Mothers will be mothers. Its in their job description (probably their DNA). I am mid 50s, have children in college, have not lived at home since the mid 1970s, I started bike commuting in 2002 or 2003 and year-round for the past several years. When the subject comes up (not often), my mother still cautions me and thinks I am crazy. She'd be on the phone daily about it if I lived in the same town (plus add the people she knows who'd see me and have to say something, usually along the lines of "what's wrong that he can't afford to drive? Or take a bus?". They mean well. No matter how old, accomplished, or mature you have become, deep down, you are still and will always be their little boy.
Originally Posted by dcrowell
I'm in my 40s. My mother lives 700 miles away. I call her regularly.
There's a world of difference between mothers being concerned, with adult children staying in contact with their parents, and parents of people in their 30s laying down the law like the OP described.

My parents may not approve of every single thing I do but I'm long past the age where they had any right to forbid me to do anything I chose.