Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
I can tell you this, WAM Events who is running pretty much every race, rarely has anything about field size limits in the flyer, just minimums typically. Also, every flyer usually says "USAC License Pending", then I just checked the official results page on the website, there were 38 Cat 5s, and 40 Cat 4s. At the start, they said it was 80+ something riders, forget the number, like 82 or 84. So, apparently 75 means nothing down here!
Did they run them as separate fields? I guess i don't see the same thing that you're seeing...

If it's a 4/5 field then it's limited to 75.
If it's a 5 only field then it's 50.
If it's a 4 field....pretty sure it's limited to 100. CDR is implying that there isn't a hard limit for 4's. I know we are not allowed more than 100 in the 4's in Illinois with our local officials for sure.

You can have a 4's race and a 5's race utilizing the course at approximately the same time (with approval from the CR) just started separately - meaning they are 2 different fields. Each field then can have it's separate max. This is what happens in Road Races. In crits...it's asking for trouble.

FWIW - you can have a 4/5 race made up of 10 actual cat 4's and 65 cat 5's.....it's kind of a way to get more 5's into races. The theory is that the cat 4's in the race help to make it ....uh......'safer'....can't believe I just typed that.