Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What do I do with it?

So I have this bike:

It's a 1997 Trek 6500.

The plan, as it stands right now, is to replace it with a new MTB (I'm WAY past due to replace it, and my oldest son is starting to MTB with his own Trek so I want to ride with him this spring/summer).

Anyway ... it's basically stock. So 14 years of use, without a major overhaul, etc.

I'd entertained the idea of converting it to a CX bike so I can get my feet wet in CX this fall, and as of right now, that's the leading idea.

But I'm wondering what else I could do with it.

I've considered making it an urban assault type cruiser kind of thing, putting some fat "slicks" on it for riding around town. Also contemplated turning it into a 1X7 just for kicks.

So really, I'm open to suggestions. I don't have a misses to answer to, so my only real limits are my budget (which isn't much).

The immediate plan is to strip the parts off, do a complete tear down and rebuilt, possibly sand it and give it a new paint job (again, cheap, though I'm contemplating seeing about getting it powdercoated).

So, the good thing is, my options are pretty wide open. And the bad thing, is my options are pretty wide open.

Thoughts? If you had a semi-blank canvass like this, what would you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20110526_164433.jpg (92.8 KB, 273 views)