View Single Post
Old 03-09-12, 10:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by krome

I think the only mass produced bikes with actual butt welds were the Electro-forged Chicago Schwinns. Not considered a top line bicycle, but I think history has proven the strength of the welds. Otherwise, the frames during that time were most likely TIG welded. Tig welding has a long history in aircraft structures. It is a proven joining technique.
You're mixing terms with different meanings.

Butt weld refers to the type of the joint, namely 2 members meeting end to end, or at an angle with no overlap or reinforcement save the weld itself.

TiG welding refers to the welding process itself
, which uses an inert gas to protect the weld area from harmful exposure to the surrounding air.

Whether TiG welded or not, most modern welded frames are butt welded though it would probably to refer to the joints as "T" joints (though nobody I know in the bike world ever does).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-09-12 at 10:51 AM.