TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
How do you stay warm?

I've honestly never really had to think about it before but I have a little issue now. I got up and hit the road at 6:30 this morning and it was about 50 out, so I wore my cycling windbreaker, which apparently doesn't breathe at all. That's fine if the weather stays cool, keeps my arms and torso warm. Toes still get cold but its only 50, no big deal.

So later on the ride it starts to heat up and at some point I have to remove the jacket, but it's too bulky to pack into a jersey pocket, so I wadded it up and just tied it around my waist.

Obviously arm warmers would have worked well for the first hour, and then rolled into a ball and stuffed into a pocket, but what's a good solution to keep my torso warm for just part of the ride?

I get very confused with talk of base layers - some appear to be for warmth and some appear to be for heat control on a hot day and I can't easily tell from reading about the products which is which (unless it's made of fleece or something) Is there anything that's dual purpose?

Anybody have the Cliff notes?