Old 03-13-12, 12:26 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alopex
Hey there,

I've been appreciating all of the advice and expert opinion on these forums, so I thought I'd toss out another problem that's been pestering me.

After riding about 30 miles daily for a couple of years, I got to the point were I could average 19-20 mph over the 30 mile stretch (it's extremely flat). It wasn't quite fast enough to keep up with some of the LBS rides, but I was happy with my progress and wanted to keep improving.

Then, I met a young woman who had an interest in biking for fitness, as well. However, she hadn't been at it as long, and was averaging more in the 15-16 mph range over the same stretch of pavement.

We'd like to train together, but unfortunately I either see myself being held back, or her keeling over in the grass. Two ideas came to mind that I'd like your input on, or other suggestions, as well:

1). The ride is broken up by intersections, and I've heard that sprints are quite good for increasing speed over long distances. I thought that perhaps I might sprint from intersection to intersection, waiting for her to catch up and join me. I'd end up with a lot of mini-breaks, I suppose, but I'd be going faster per individual segment.

2). Get a tandem (?) do tandems even work like that? Can she set a different cadence or gearing than me?

Is there any decent way to solve this problem? Ideally, I'd like to train to increase my fitness and speed, but also spend time with her.

Let me know what you think!
Do you have a clunker bike? I ride with somebody 20 years younger than me. He is attached to his 20-year-old heavyweight Pioneer -- god knows why, but he is! When he rides that with me he gets a workout! Last time we rode he told me, "Don, I said we could go faster, but I didn't mean that fast!" When he is riding his Trek Tri-foil, he pushes my old buzzard ass HARD!

With slower riders, I take advantage of hills. I charge into a medium or short hill in a hard gear whooping and hollering and adrenaline flowing, doing my damnedest to maintain speed and minimize downshifting. After this ridiculous exercise in excess, I don't at all mind waiting for my slower buddies to reach the top. Hopefully by that time I am no longer huffing like a steam locomotive and can pretend the sprint was easy for me.

Don in Austin