View Single Post
Old 03-14-12, 04:31 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazydad View Post
It has been a horrible few months. Since the beginning of the year I have been on the bike 15 times for a total of 238 miles. It has been crazy at work and the weather has not been cooperating much. As a result, I have gained about 14lbs since the beginning of Dec.

The biggest challenge for me has been the weather. In Jan and Feb, I just couldn't get myself out of bed that early when the temps were in the 30's to low 40's. I know to a lot of you that is not cold, but it makes me miserable; even with my cold gear on. Being born and raised in Texas, I would much rather ride in 105F heat than below 60F. And when it hasn't been too cold, it has been raining. I am thankful for the rain though, we desperately need it.

Anyway, this morning it was in the 40's with a thunderstorm when we went to church at 9. When we got out at 12, the sun was out and it was warming up nicely (75F). My girls and I walked to the park and played for a couple of hours and after we got back I hit the road for the first time in over 2 weeks. I can tell I have lost a step, but I feel great! Now I just hope the cold is gone for good and I really need to get back into the habit of getting up early to ride so I can re-lose this 14lbs and get ready for a MTB race in April and the Shiner GASP in May.
Is commuting to work or perhaps partially commuting to work an option for you? Great way to get riding in.

And to get used to what you call "cold" (at least for TX), have you tired layering? Works out great.