View Single Post
Old 03-14-12, 07:23 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Suggest some tires options for racing

I've got my wheelsets sorted out I think. I'm going to have two sets right now. One to ride and one as a spare for the pits. If I happen on another set cheap off of craigslist I just might spring for them -but they better be cheap.

So far I've happened into one halfway decent set of tires and need to put something on the second wheelset as I've heard bikes don't run very well without tires

The take-off tires I picked up are a like-new set of Ritchey Speedmax Comp Cyclocross in 32mm

What are the types/conditions of racing these tires are suited for, and using these as a jumping off point what else should I look for in tires? I'm going to need at least one more set of tires to put on the other wheels and maybe a 3rd set eventually to more fully cover the bases of differing terrain and weather conditions.

My budget allows for tires at the $30 level or below.

Please don't tell me that I should get tubulars. My budget just DOES NOT allow this -neither for the wheels or the tubulars themselves. It's clincher for this season and maybe some Stan's tubeless conversions if money loosens up later this fall.

I know I'm not going to be competitive -I'm just starting out. I do want to finish so two sets of clincher wheels & tires is the minimum level of commitment I'm ready to spring for.