Old 03-18-12, 06:18 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I could learn to hate St. Patrick's Day in the US - long

I teach in a graduate program in the heart of Philadelphia. Three of my classes are on Saturdays. Yesterday, between classes I took the elevator to the lobby so I could get outside for a few minutes and enjoy the spring weather. As the elevator door opens I see the security guard right outside the front door surrounded by a group of drunk students from two other universities right up the street. They are all wearing green t-shirts from an Irish bar about four blocks down the street from the first of these two universities. I head out the door to see what's going on. Turns out the security guard caught two of these students in the parking lot (which is private) urinating on cars. Doing his job, he saw them on the security cameras and went out to chase them away. Several friends of these two were waiting for them, and get involved in a situation that is about to get ugly. They start pushing the guard and telling him to get the "f" out of their faces. I notice that one of the students has a Campagnolo tattoo on his forearm. I turn to him as ask if he thinks it would cool if his friends took a leak on his bike. He stops dead in his tracks and says, Hell, no, I'd kick their a$$es. I say, well some people feel the same way about their cars. What your friends did was thoughtless and stupid. He nods his heads and helps me break up the crowd and they head on back to their respective campus. It seems more and more, that this "holiday" is simply an excuse to be stuipd for a day. The security guard wants to know how I knew about the tattoo. I just smiled and said, every cyclist would recognize that tattoo. He says, maybe I should start riding a bike to work. I'm thinking, good idea, except on St. Patrick's day.