View Single Post
Old 03-19-12, 04:12 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Although I have the Pinarello FP Uno-- The same could be said for most of the other smaller quality bike manufacturers. When manufacturing for the standard cyclist- you have to keep within certain price restraints just so you can be competitive. Once you stop thinking of the Usual big name bikes- you fall into a different category of buyers. Now I am not going to slag off the Big Names as They all serve their purpose and supply good bikes for the price and in the higher brackets do make bikes that are top knotch that do perform. But there are a lot of smaller names that supply better. The one downside is the price but you have to realise that they may not having the buying power or the same type of customer. They will not be selling in the same numbers of the big names so production costs will be higher aswell.

But what you get for that higher price is a bike that is not quite the same as the others. Can't tell you what it is but the choice of groupset- components and the attention to detail just adds up to a better bike. Of course it still takes a level of competence by the rider to get the best out of that bike but after 20 years riding I feel that I have that competence.

Now all I have to do is get the miles in to make that Investment in a good bike worthwhile. Just a pity that the speed on those rides will not be as high as it used to be.

Spike Milligan