View Single Post
Old 03-21-12, 11:11 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by garethzbarker
What kind of problems have you had with these bikes if any?
Outside of standard stuff, I once bent the front derailer mount a bit and had a terrible time readjusting it due to the cable pull coming from the side instead of below. Consequently, I had to get the tab adjustment just right otherwise the cable would pull the derailer out of alignment.

What's the real benefit of getting a custom frame besides a closer fit without stem change? I can't figure out how much extra a custom fit frame is compared to a stock unit.
There is a lot of fuzziness with regards to frame/bike geometry and how it affects handling and performance. So I think it will be hard to write about this broadly.

Is the bike pretty safe to throw in a box for flights? I don't want the suitcase/trailer.
When I box a bike, I always remove the rear derailer and bunch of other things to protect the components. I suspect that boxing your folding bike relative to a suitcase will require more disassembly than using a suitcase. Moreover, I think it will create more questions and hassles at the check-in counter than a standard suitcase.

http://www.gaerlan.com/bikes/case/case.html

Will it mess up the folding/packing on a PR to put a shallow drop bars that are wider than the stock bars?
I strongly doubt it.

Anyone do randos on either of these bikes?
There are quite a few people. A few google searches will often find examples. You can also look on the Bike Friday Yak for several posts.

My general Bike Friday recommendations and comments ...