View Single Post
Old 03-21-12, 01:35 PM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mich Muds

Originally Posted by rithem
I would advise against the 30's ... beware of pinch flats, running too much pressure is also a recipe for poor corning traction if you thinking of just airing them up, I would aim for 32 or 33. 32 being the Mud size. I have safely run Mud 32's dow to 32 psi w/o issue...
Michelin Muds *only* come in a 30. For that matter, Mich Jets come onlny in a 30 as well. Sorry, that's it.

Check out the tire reviews at www.cxmagazine.com for more info if so inclined. I really like Panaracer CrossBlasters for mud. Somoe people swear by Maxxis Raze, some don't like them at all. I don't like the Raze as much only because it tends to slip more in the off-camber stuff (not enough shoulder knobs). Kenda Kwickers as I mentioned seemed to make great, really inexpensive mud tires. I've used Kenda Kommandos with pretty good success in muddy conditions (Masters Worlds, Ohio State Champs, et al) but they have a smaller knob profile than some people would like (but I beg you, give them an honest shot). I prefer the 35s in the Kommandos as the 32s have the knobs closer together and would probably clog up.

Biggest thing in mud is to get the pressure as low as you possibly can. To the poinit that you'll bottom out once or twice a lap. I ran the 40c version of the Speedmax's at a muddy race last year this way and it worked pretty good. Sven Nys has been seen laying a whopping on the field with file treads (pipestrellos) in muddy races. Pressure and technique.