Old 03-23-12, 05:51 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I think you are required to carry liability insurance of your own. The insurance the car rental companies is against damage to their cars, not liability to others you may incur from an accident. And as Aaron says, you are required to have insurance if you have a license in most states.
I'd never heard of car insurance for someone who didn't have a car until I moved to Texas. In PA, you insure a car. I did some research, and this site supports why understand of insurance in PA. There can be limits on the policy for who is covered, such as no drivers under 25. This gives you a lower rate since you've cut out a high risk group, and if you let a driver not covered by your policy drive then the insurance will try to avoid paying. I think if you can prove it was an occasional driver, then they will still have to pay though, but I'm not 100% on that. I can't say definitively how the majority of states work, as I've only ever had insurance in PA and TX.

According to this article, you can purchase liability insurance from a rental car company.