View Single Post
Old 03-25-12, 01:37 PM
JoeSalmon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike for overweight people?

Hello. Back in December I changed my life I started exercising and eating healthy and since then I have lost around 45 pounds. Recently, I lost my winter exercise (ice skating/hockey) because of the weather and figured I better find something to do for the summer/spring/fall months and with the weather being absolutely gorgeous for late March I figure a bicycle would be a good activity.

As of now I am 310 pounds at 6'5 but steadily losing weight (goal is around 220). The last bike I had was when I was around 16 at about 280 pounds and lets just say a really cheap Walmart bike isn't cut out for fat people. The crappy plastic pedal broke off the crappy plastic pedal arm causing me to fall hard on the seat and bent the seat post.... not a good feeling for a bike that was only two days old and an even worse feeling for the fat 16 year old who had to walk his new broken bike to the customer service desk at Walmart to get a refund. 10 years later and I haven't been on a bike since but I want that to change.

It's my understanding that Walmart bikes are cheap and made cheap. So I figure if I spent a little more (hoping under $400) then I could possibly get a bike that would be able to hold my weight at this time. Just simply riding around the city for exercise mostly street riding with a little gravel trail riding in between. Have no intentions of hitting up trails with big bumps or jumps. Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should look for in a bike and even if such a bike exists?