Old 03-26-12, 12:40 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a pair of 9/16" pedals for my Columbia at a bike shop - brought them back to have the bearings adjusted because they were a bit tight. The mechanic tells me the pedals I bought cannot be adjusted. I tell him I bought them partly because they were adjustable, and it stated so on the packaging. He tells me then that while they can be adjusted, you may as well not because they're not really made for it and the adjustment is imprecise. So I say I want them adjusted anyway. Then he tells me he cannot find the 10mm wrench needed to adjust them... so I leave and never return.

Speaking of bearing adjustment, two years ago I stopped by the nearest shop to find headset lock nut for said columbia. The shop puts one on, and while doing so the guy inexplicably tightens up the bearing too. I comment on the notchiness of the bearing and he responds that you don't want the bearing too loose... I figure I can go home and adjust it in a minute anyway so why push the point. Well the nut they put on is larger than normal so I can't remove it with my wrench. Today (two years later) I decided to wrench it off with a vice grip - and lo and behold the fork crown race is cracked. Oh well.