View Single Post
Old 03-26-12, 01:12 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
You'd have to call House of Tandems and ask what they're willing to share. They commissioned the product under an exclusive arrangement, and have chosen to wholesale it to Tandems East (HoT will be representing Spinergy at the TE expo next weekend) and daVinci.

Rim braking loads don't load the hub rotationally. Drive loads would, but I would have to think they're an order of magnitude lower than disc loads.

Great to see this actively discussed, because my wife & I are in the process of accumulating an inventory of parts for a new Calfee build up. At the moment there are maybe 20 shipments of parts in transit, including the actual frame & fork

We are teetering between Rolfs vs Spinergy. The wheels must have rear a disc option as we will be switching back and forth between rim brakes and disc on the rear. The pricing I've sourced between these is really close, so no real issue there. Team weight of < 300lbs and like doing high speed mtn decents.

It is bizarre that Spinergy does not list any tandem specific wheels on their website. Makes you wonder what their service level would be. AFAIK, Santana tends to spec fairly beefy gear, so I doubt those OEM would have feeble Al axles.

We were thinking that the Tx2 wheels may be a "boutique" version of the generic XAeros that House of Tandems is sourcing and maybe the only difference is the personalized shop labels. Just a thought. Want to hear the scoop from you guys what the comparison truly is, so looking forward to that feedback.

As far as performance diffs, I think Mark (TandemGeek) has already discussed key points between these two... weight, handling, comfort. We are also concerned about whether the Spinergy are noisy egg-beaters (re: the thicker spokes) and not very "aero slick" when compared to the Rolfs. On the other hand, how rough is the ride on the Rolfs? We had a set of Sweet-16s on a prior Santana and like them well enough, so I was thinking the Rolfs wouldn't be much different except a lot (~400gm) lighter?

Last edited by twocicle; 03-26-12 at 01:26 PM.