Old 03-30-12, 03:54 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Did I get a good deal? What kind of cleats do I need to ride with the current pedals installed? What is upgradable? Do they still make brake hoods for my current brake levers? What needs to be checked (so I don't possibly die due to mechanical failure)?

Oh yes, good deal. I paid $150 for my 54cm Expert without qualm. It seems to be in good shape. Replacing the tires may be all you need to do until you decide what, if anything, to upgrade. See the "Retro Roadies" thread for some ideas.

Your pedals are deigned for old-style cleats and shoes. There are some adapters for contemporary cycling shoes, but you can actually use running shoes or narrow MTB shoes for the time being.

Replacement hoods can be found. Someone here may be able to help, and there's always eBay. I'd try cleaning them up, first.

As far as what to check? Make sure the seat post and/or stem are not stuck! (You'll need a hex wrench for that.) Inspect the cables for cuts or fraying. Check the rims for cracks at the spoke eyelets. Check for play in the headset. Check and replace the brake pads.

That should do for starters. I'm sure others will chime in.

And welcome to the (Ironman) club!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 03-30-12 at 04:32 AM.