View Single Post
Old 04-02-12, 02:24 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedTar
Thanks for advice guys - I think the price seems high, but after watching ebay for a few weeks old Pugs seem to go for between £150-300 depending on nick. This being from a reseller has naturally put the price up a bit.

Anixi - Assuming it is in good condition would those be such issues?
No, not really. It's just that if they are in poor condition, you should pass unless you can either find replacement parts, or have a mechanic friend willing to get you up to speed on DIY repairs.

For instance, I have a Pug that has not only the stays bent, but, the bottom bracket AND the head tube off kilter. It's a total mess! If I can't do the DIY frame fixing, the old AE8 will have to either be hung up for later, or, off to the freecycle crowd. I can't afford to have the work done by a professional.

That said, if you can't afford to send your bike to a professional, don't get this bike! I remember a US student who posted here recently that bought a $150 bike. He had poor advice from not only a friend, but the bike shop. It turns out that the bike is in need of a lot of repairs, some that require specialized tools he can't afford.

I would hate to see you, especially with a French bike, to get bogged down. Don't hesitate to purchase Japanese or other Asian bikes, since the parts and repairs are far cheaper and easy to accomplish. French, and esp. Swiss bikes should be avoided like the plague for the unprepared. I know, I've currently own five Frenchys, they're all giving me fits, and I've been in this business for decades...some people never learn!