Old 04-05-12, 10:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by BrettUnder

A photo may explain my question better....
Yes, But.....

The main advantage of crossover lacing, is that it reduces the relative difference in tension between the left and right flanges.

The ratio of left to right flange tension is roughly proportional to the ratio of their center to flange distances. (inverted) So if the two CTF distances are 36 and 20mm, the land the rim is drilled right down the middle the L/R tension ratio will be 20:36 (or 5:9 if you like). So the spokes on the left will have 55.5% of the tension of those on the right.

Offset drilling used as intended actually makes things worse, because it subtracts distance from both sides, so instead of 20:36, you have 18:34 (2mm offset) and left side tension drops to 53% of the right. if you build the rim crossed over 20:26 becomes 22:38 and the left side tension improves to 58%.

So that's the benefit, and the greater the amount of offset crossed over, the higher the left side tension can go.

But there's a hitch. Most rims drilled offset are drilled that way because the rims curvature has the nipples pointing to the side slightly, improving the nipple/spoke alignment. When you build crossed over, the nipple is pointing the wrong way, and often cannot flex to the line of the spoke. This not only looks bad, but can cause spoke breakage at the first thread if not built very carefully.

I've built a few touring wheels crossed over, and enjoyed some success, but it's a pain, so I generally shop for rims with zero or minimum offset, based on the idea that if I can't make things better, at least I can avoid making them worse.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.