View Single Post
Old 07-27-05, 06:57 AM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Expatriate
With some shimming, you should be able to mount a long stem backwards on the captains seatpost, then maybe a flat or riser MTB bar? If the stoker is bent over drops, they'll be dangerously close to the captain's "Exhaust". You can get 17mm titanium (woohoo!) inner chainring bolts on ebay really cheap. I'd consider welding a boom tube between the BBs, which would simplify cable routing as well.

Good luck. It looks far better than your first description made it sound.
I'm going to do something like that for a rear bar..probably use a seat post clamp section cut off another scrap "ladies" frame with a piece of tubing welded to it, allowing a normal quill type stem to be inserted. I have a MTB bar, though I thought perhaps a set of bullhorns would work well also.

I may put a boom tube in as well later; that's a good suggestion. It would certainly stiffen it with a small weight penalty. That would allow routing the derailer cables much more cleanly.

For now I'm just going to cable it as-is and take some test rides. It would be nice to take it on our Saturday group ride, and maybe that way I won't blow my legs up before doing a Sunday time trial.