Old 04-09-12, 04:21 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
yeah, but you usually need a cross or touring bike to fit that. 28s fit on some road bikes, and I assume they fit for the OP since he's asking about that size in particular.
That's the point. The OP is trying to retrofit the wrong frame for riding on gravel.
Plain truth is, the OP's bike isn't the best for gravel period. 28c independent of tread or construction, or not ideal for any loose gravel. They are perfectly fine for crushed limestone or hard packed dirt however. I know because I live on a gravel road and own a 28c bike.
Minimum is 32c...wider is better for loose gravel...something in the 2" range is ideal. The volume of the tire and footprint and lower pressure completely changes comfort level and control. No pot holes?..or very few? Ride rigid with high volume tires. Riding my 29er down my road with Nanoraptors versus 28c...transforms the bike in terms of control and comfort.
OP...unless your roads are packed down, and you are going to do rides of any length, you need a wider tire than what you can fit on that frame. Your choice tho.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-09-12 at 04:26 PM.