View Single Post
Old 04-11-12, 03:58 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
First, let me say that all day comfort is much more important to me than max speed or power. I do like riding fast, but I do not and don't intend to race. If I were going to compete, comfort would drop down the list by two or three notches.

I am very satisfied with one of my bikes and how it fits. I had a custom built frame made by Independent Fabrication, and haven't touched a thing from the initial set up two years ago. I've tried to duplicate the same measurements on my other bikes with less than stellar success. With these bikes, I think I have it dialed in only to be annoyed with some small aspect of fit. I think little things like a top tube that is only a wee bit shorter, or a head tube that is just a little taller or, seat stay length a bit longer, or head/seat tube angles slightly different, and/or toe overlap that's just a little too much, all matter. I know many folks are blessed in that they can ride almost anything and not have problems. I have not found that to be the case at any point in my cycling life - not at age 20 and not now. On my Indy Fab I can ride six or seven hours with no ill effects. On any of my other bikes, a ride of that length will have me paying for it later that day or the next. I do, however, think that bike fit is a moving target or somewhat fluid. Even on my Indy Fab I find there are days when I ride on the top of the bars more, or days when I ride a little more toward the back on my saddle. I guess if we all had the same type and size bodies that got used the same ways, and went through the same abuses, there would be no need for so many different handlebar shapes, reaches, or drop. There would be no need for different stems, crank arm lengths, or saddles.