Old 04-13-12, 12:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I guess I can add a point or two, or more.

1. SWB vs LWB - it's mostly a preference. That's why we recommend you try a few before you buy. Less chance of buyer's remorse. How do you know what you like unless you first decide what you don't like?

2. TourEasy - if it's equipped with a Zzipper fairing, it's about as fast as an upright on flat ground, faster downhill, but slower uphill. Not surprising since it's significantly heavier. The aluminum framed GRR model is slightly stiffer and lighter. Either can be very fast everywhere except uphill, if you add a body sock.

3. Lightning - it's a 'name brand' recumbent with a reputation for good climbers.

4. Volae - nice quality, but the small-diameter steel frame is a bit 'soft' (read: "whippy") for big guys. You're a big guy.

5. AFAIK all 650C highracers can be converted to 559 (26".)

6. At 6', you should be tall enough for 700C; so if you want it, buy it that way.

7. At your weight, I would definitely recommend steel over aluminum. Except if you find a great deal on a GRR - I've never heard of a broken GRR frame.