Old 04-13-12, 12:47 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcw102686
Nevermind about the shipping charges. The two have included shipping and the first one is fairly cheap with shipping.

Also I liked the idea of buying from a LBS to have a warranty with them to do any repairs or tuneups within the first few months. I wouldn't have that with an online bike correct?
Not being able to test ride an online bike can definitely be a reason to go to a local shop. And if you aren't confident in being able to put it together (for a singlespeed or a simple bike it isn't rocket science, but maybe you don't have the tools or don't want to deal with it), then you would definitely want to take it to be assembled. Some places could give a customer who walks in with an online bike some grief, not all, but it does happen some places.

So scratch the online bikes--I was mainly offering those as examples of other types of bikes. I would think that anything with a flat bar would still put you upright. Maybe not sitting with your back completely straight like on a cruiser...but if that's most comfortable for you, then go with that.

The Electra on Craigslist looks like it could be a good deal. Depends what kind of shape it's in, though. Torn seat isn't too bad, but you would want to check for rust, see if there are any dings or scratches. I'd turn those handlebars down so you're holding the grips at a flat angle, at least.

You seem to be in the Ventura area. There's a Performance Bicycle store in Oxnard. They have this nice-looking Schwinn cruiser for $199:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...12_-1___400324

Their website lets you order online and pick it up at the store, but you should go there and see if they have it on the floor.