View Single Post
Old 04-14-12, 04:20 PM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sueb2b
If I make a change to the brakes, I'll probably look at something like the Mr. Toughies for the tires in the short term. Can't really afford changing out both brakes/tires at once. I do agree with the posting that the problem is the tires themselves.

Thanks again.
I personally don't think that you need to completely change out your brakes. Try some of the suggestions that have been posted or take the bike to a different shop where the mechanic might be a bit more knowledgeable about cantilevers. As myself and other posters have mentioned they can be a bit tricky to get "right". Try looking for a shop that has a lot of cyclocross bike experience or a shop with a mechanic who was wrenching back when canti's were predominantly used(up to mid 90's)becuase those would be the guys who most likely have the most experience setting up them up correctly.

Even if you feel more comfortable changing out the brakes, it need not be something super expensive. I use these with this straddle cableand they stop my bike with more power than I could possibly need.