Old 07-27-05, 04:25 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic

Removing the drop handlebars from an old Raleigh. They're covered in dried up tape adhesive. The stem is an old Raleigh style with 'GB' stamped on the sides. No matter how hard I try, though, the drops don't seem to budge past the part of the drop where the brake usually fastens. I'm starting to get a lot of aluminum shavings/filings from all of the twisting, and the bars just won't go past a certain point.

Anyone out there have any good tips? I tried a little grease, and that didn't work at all. I also tried doing this without the stem attached to the bike, and that didn't seem to help, either.

These handlebars are really getting scratched up, though, and I don't want to keep trying to force the issue.

Please Help!

Thanks,

max

I'm going to try and throw this back to the top of the list--just once--in hopes that my OP was just plain confusing.

I'm trying to get drop handlebars off of a 70s Raleigh Grand Prix that still has its original Raleigh stem. I took off all of the handlebar tape and have been trying to extricate the bars from the stem. Unfortunately, once I get to the last bend in the bar, it won't budge. I'm asking for any advice on getting the bar the rest of the way out; do I need to completely remove the dry, crusty tape adhesive? It's no longer sticky at all, but I'm wondering if that is creating enough friction for it to be impossible to get the bars all the way off. Twisting the bar is scratching it up a lot.