View Single Post
Old 04-15-12, 05:52 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what the OP is looking for I'd look at two bikes. Both carbon and light with the ability to carry some luggage. The first is less expensive, the Pedal Force CG2. Barrettsc has one of these and seems to be happy with it. The second is the Volagi. It's around $5k but has also gotten some good reviews from long distance riders. Both bikes will easily handle a large seatpost bag and the ultra-light weight hiking gear should fit in there easily. As mentioned above, you could also use your regular road bike but at 13lbs you probably have some less than robust parts on there that might no make it the whole distance. I could do what you are talking about on my Colango C-50. As far as the route goes, hwy 1 is pretty standard for most of the distance. You'll have to do a little stint on 101 north of Santa Barbara as well as some bike paths you'll want to use. In LA there are beach routes that avoid all the traffic lights on Hwy1 from a little south of Malibu on. You'll also have to ride on I5 or Camp Pendleton between San Onfre and Oceanside.